Friday, November 29, 2013

What to do with the leftovers?


We returned home from a nice time out gathering supplies for some upcoming projects (to be posted later) and decided dinner was next up for this evening's events.  

I'm sure the rest of you share the same feelings when it comes to the leftovers from yesterday's Thanksgiving feast... more turkey, potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc. reheated in the microwave.  Well, I'm not that fond of leftovers, so this afternoon I spent some quality time perusing Pinterest looking for something to spice things up.  I found just the thing!


Only I had to make some modifications...
INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 lbs of any squash,cut into pieces - I used acorn squash because that's what I had from Thanksgiving (mine was baked with butter, brown sugar, honey, salt, and cinnamon)
  • 3 cloves of garlic - minced
  • 2 thumb size pieces of ginger, sliced
  • zest from 1 orange
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons of butter
  • Sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Cinnamon
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Your favorite herbs - I used crushed bay leaves and thyme (and would have used sage if I had it)
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  •  Honey
 DIRECTIONS:
In a large pot place 1 tablespoon of butter, garlic, ginger, orange zest, and EVOO.  Let simmer on low heat (you don't want it to burn).
While that is simmering (and making your whole house smell delicious!), cut up your squash into cubes/smaller, cookable piece.  When your done cutting up the squash add it to the pot.  Pour in enough water to cover the ingredients and adjust your heat up to high.  While that cooks add a dash of sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, crushed bay leaves, and thyme.  (I say "dash" because I don't usually measure, but if I did I would say it would be about 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon of each, EXCEPT THE CAYENNE which really is just a dash.) Let cook (it will boil) for about 15 minutes, stirring so the bottom doesn't burn.  You'll know it's done because your squash will be soft and your whole house will smell amazing.  You will also hear your family asking when dinner will be ready.
Carefully (CAREFULLY!!!) pour your mixture into a blender and puree' until smooth.  Add in some more salt and black pepper (as much as you like), the lemon juice, and a spoonful of honey and blend some more.
Pour into bowls and serve with a little sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese. Makes about 2-4 serving depending on your serving size.  

Scott (my very handsome husband), didn't really eat the acorn squash from Thanksgiving dinner, but was all about this "leftover" soup.  I hope you enjoy!  

(Sorry, no pictures of the actual soup.  I didn't think about doing this until we were cleaning out the bowls.  I'll do better next time.)
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment